Thursday 12 August 2010

A Moment of Peace

A moment of Peace

I came out to my garden for some quiet time but my mind is full of thoughts which just cloud my head. My mind won’t shut-up. I’m alone and it’s still hard to get some peace.

“Mikel, are you alright?” my sister asks grabbing my arm trying to scare me.

I’ll admit; she does take me by surprise.

“What are you doing out here?” She asks smiling triumphantly

“I’m just thinking…trying to clear my mind and get some quiet time.”

I’ve been standing out here for 20 minutes; the small argument with dad just plays over and over in my mind.

My legs begin to get tired; so I sit down on the grass; my sister sits next to me. She has changed into her purple-baggy silk pyjamas; they match her nails.

“I heard the convo between you and daddy.” says Peace.

“Seems like there are a few issues that need to be sorted out.”

“There is nothing to sort out.” I reply boldly. “Do you honestly think anyone can get through to our family-dictator?!”
Peace looks at me then takes my hand.
“Dad just wants the best for you…he may seem harsh, but you know him, that’s how he shows his affection.”
Instantly I get frustrated and try to keep my cool. Peace senses it and she leans on my shoulder. She used to do that with our parents too; when they were angry with her.

She squeezes my hand tighter. “You know how African parents are… especially dads. Tough love is what they…”
I cut her off before she can finish. She knows little or nothing about tough love! The golden child cannot tell me anything about tough love.

“Peace, please don’t go there” I say releasing my hand from hers. “You’ve had it easy compared to me. You’ve rarely had your decisions made for you.”

My sister opens her mouth to say something but then changes her mind.

“Has dad ever made a decision for you without even asking how you felt about it?” I ask rhetorically. Peace doesn’t answer.

I turn and look at her. Though it’s dark out here, I can still see her slightly from the light coming through the kitchen window.
“Has he ever scrutinised every piece of work you’ve brought home?”

Peace remains silent.

“Has he ever, even once said to you ‘You didn’t try hard enough’ when deep down you know you tried your best?”
“No…not really” she replies hesitantly.

“There you go then. Dad rarely shows displeasure in what you do. You’re as good as gold. If I could have had have half of your treatment….” I end my sentence there.

I love my sister a lot and I don’t want this convo to cause any bitter feelings between us, so I wisely end it. My grievances lie with my father, not with Peace.

“Mikel? Have you ever wondered what it’s like for me?” she asks.

Her question is sudden and slightly confusing.

“huh?...what do you mean?” I ask back.

“For years dad has always focused on you…when you’re not around it’s only you he talks about. He goes on about how you’re gonna make him proud, how you’re gonna do this and that, blah blah blah…”

What Peace has just said has thrown me into a slight confusion. I try to say something but now I’m the one who is lost for words. Peace continues to talk.
“You know sometimes…” she pauses for a second. “Sometimes I wish dad could fuss over me the way he does with you. Dad is just content with what I do. With you he’s always trying to make you better, trying to make you achieve more; but with me, what I do is just satisfactory… and nothing more.”

I cast my mind back to when we we’re younger and our school reports came home. Dad would go through Peace’s report, nodding his head approvingly; then he would say something like “Very good Peace, you have done well”. I realise what she just said is true.

With my report, he would sit up in his seat and his face would turn serious. After reading it he would say “It’s good but...” from there he would just break me down piece by piece.

I’m tired of the garden now, so I stand up and stick my hand out to pull my sister up. I’m sleepy now and I know my sister is too. I pause for a second before moving and hug my sister.
I hold my sister tightly. I never realised that the affects of my father’s action on me also affected her.

Peace was right; there are definitely things that need to be sorted out.

My father, Peace and I will need to have a serious talk...

2 comments:

  1. What about their mom? She needs to have a word with her husband. What sort of woman puts up with that B.S?!

    Parents should love their kids equally....else it might result in bitterness/rivalry between siblings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fathers tend to push their sons like that. Its so true. This entry is really getting to me.

    ReplyDelete